Thursday, October 20, 2016

Thank God for Nose Hairs!



“I think of myself as a nose hair,” Susan said and all the ladies burst out laughing.  I chuckled too as she described her part of the body of Christ, but inside I was thinking: Nose Hairs are Important!

We were having testimony time at our woman’s retreat and Susan was telling of God’s power to raise her off of her sick bed two years ago.  She is getting around now and spreading her joy to others but she is homebound. She relayed to us how she was feeling bad that she was not able, at this time, to help people out with her nursing skills anymore.  God had told her she had something very important she could still do.  She could pray and intercede for those in need.

When I was told that the chemo drugs I would be taking would cause me to lose my hair, I thought about the hair on my head and my eyebrows and eyelashes.  I never really thought about how much hair we have all over our bodies.  But eventually I lost all of it – yes even my nose hairs.

Now, losing nose hairs may not seem like a big deal, (unless of course you need one of those nose hair clippers to keep yours under control.)  But the first time I stood up and a big drip came running down and out my nose I discovered that nose hairs matter.  At first I had no clue what was going on with the drippy nose- just figured it was some new side effect from the chemo drugs.  But thanks to the Internet I discovered that nose hairs not only protect us from dirt going into your sinuses but also catch any leaks coming out!  I quickly learned to have a tissue on me at all times for those unannounced, unpredictable drips, and to never take those nose hairs for granted!

But back to testimony time.  I maybe should have stood up after Susan testified and declared the importance of nose hairs to our body.  But I didn’t.  But I want to declare it now. 

Nose Hairs you are important!  We need you!

God has so wonderfully made our bodies that every single part is precious and important.  Of course the same is true of the body of Christ – his people - all put together so wonderfully - each person so precious and so important to the function of the whole body.

I am so thankful for the nose hairs in my life –yes for those that are now back in my nose and those (if Susan is correct in her assessment) who pray.

A pastor–friend recently said to me “You are a walking miracle!”  Yes, I know in God’s graciousness he has healed me.  “There were so many people praying for you,” he went on to say.  Yes, because of prayer chains, there were people all over the country praying for me.  Some were close friends and relatives, but others were people I will never meet in this lifetime, but people who took time to lift me up before the Healer, the great Deliverer.  I am so grateful.

So for Susan and nose hairs everywhere I want to say, “Thank you!” Thank you for catching the drips and keeping out the dirt.  Thank you for making the whole body stronger and keeping it healthy. 

We all can pray.  We all can praise.  We all can bless another.
No matter how you see yourself, you are important and what you do matters!

No comments:

Post a Comment