Monday, November 24, 2014

A Season to be Thankful - A Lifetime to be Grateful



During this Thanksgiving season I have so much to be thankful for.  For starters- I am still here!  I am healed and healthy.  I have the most wonderful loving husband in the world. His tender strength has got me through the hard times.  After 31 years of marriage he is still my best friend and my true love. I have two precious children who are my pride and joy. I have been so blessed to be their mom, and now also their friend.  I have a beautiful granddaughter who calls me up to tell me silly jokes, and whose free spirit delights me to no end. I have family and friends who I could write pages about they are such a blessing and joy. I have good food to eat, clean water to drink, a warm cozy house. The list could and should go on and on…

Ann Voskamp inspired me to make a list of  things I am thankful for each day. I want to live a life of gratefulness.  In the easy times and the hard times, in the messes and the blessings- to be thankful in all things.  For thanksgiving is the key that opens the door to his presence

Enter his gates with thanksgiving
and his courts with praise;
give thanks to him and praise his name.
For the Lord is good and his love endures forever;
his faithfulness continues through all generations.
Psalm 100: 4-5

Thank him in the good times, and thank him in the hard times.

Though the fig tree does not bud
and there are no grapes on the vines,
though the olive crop fails
and the fields produce no food,
though there are no sheep in the pen
and no cattle in the stalls,
yet I will rejoice in the Lord,
I will be joyful in God my Savior. 
Habakkuk 3:17-18

This daily counting of blessing has changed my life, and I would like to challenge each of you who take the time to read my meanderings to start a grateful list.  It will help you keep life in perspective. It will refocus your gaze off of your problems and onto the one who is the giver of all that is good and precious. 

Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances;
for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.
1 Thess 5: 16-18



No comments:

Post a Comment